Thursday 25 November 2010

E-mail bouncing problem

That e-mail enquiry is still evading all of my attempts to reply to it so I thought I would add one final post on the subject. I must admit that I wasn't expecting such a problem with an e-mail enquiry but it may very well happen again. So, with that thought in mind, I am going to explain what I believe has happened.

The e-mail originated from a Blue Yonder account which is now under Virgin's control. Virgin applied some security measures during the merge. They also provided instructions about the new settings that Blue Yonder e-mail account holders need to apply so their e-mail will continue to work properly under the new system. Having read them, my suspicion is that the settings in the case of this person's outgoing e-mail are fine but possibly incorrect for receiving replies. I even tried sending a reply from an e-mail address that was unlikely to get caught in an over-zealous spam filter (Hotmail and Yahoo e-mails often suffer that fate) so I'm more inclined to go with the settings theory. I did try to contact Virgin to see if they could sort out the problem but it has ended in a stalemate. How their customers are supposed to realise that their incoming settings are incorrect, without them being flagged up by the people trying to reach them, completely escapes me so I have admitted defeat on this one.

The upshot of this is that I'd like to assure all of you that I do value your custom. I check my e-mail several times a day so you should get a very timely reply from me. When this does not happen, I'm either away, or there has been a problem with receiving or sending e-mail.

As I mentioned before, Hotmail and Yahoo e-mail accounts tend to suffer heavily at the hands of spam filters. A lot of spam is sent from such accounts so some filters completely block any mail from them whether or not the address has been reported for spamming. I do check my spam and junk folders so I should receive those e-mails but there is always the possibility that some will go astray. Likewise, you may want to do the same in case my reply has ended up in your spam/junk folder by accident. Should there be another event like this one, I will post something about the problem here in my blog so you have a chance to try another contact route. I respect your privacy so I will not post your name and e-mail address here. I will also keep trying to send a reply from time to time in case your e-mail problem is resolved through a different source.

No comments:

Post a Comment