Monday 9 August 2010

As my blackwork design grows...

I've had yet another interesting day centre stage talking with lots of you during your visit to Seaton Delaval Hall. I did manage a bit more stitching this time though. I've worked out a plan now that allows me to do the trickier bits through the week and leave the easier bits for my actual visit. And it is looking as though I've passed the halfway point now. I have several ideas for stitches that will add even more depth to the scene but, at the same time, I don't want to make it too busy.

These centre stage spots are proving to be quite an interesting way for me to experience a National Trust site. As I study each detail of the architecture, I find myself becoming more attuned to the building and pondering what life might have been like for the people who ventured into it during its heyday. I can't help wondering what they might have thought of my attempt to capture this view of the hall through needle and thread. Paintings and drawings were more the norm back then, and blackwork techniques would have been applied as decorations on clothing. At that time, the North East of England was already busy acquiring a long list of very talented people who were unafraid to try new things. So, I like to think that they might have approved of what they probably would have perceived as my slightly offbeat application of blackwork, for the times.

As many of you who have already talked to me know, the North East of England is not where my origins lie. I was born and raised in Canada but now call the North East my home. A very special Geordie lad is responsible for my decision to up sticks and move... but that is another story! My needlework enables me to explore the history of this area as well as is influenced by it. I am not short of admiration for the many talented characters that are associated with this region. It's downright impossible not to be inspired! I feel so lucky to be living here.

Thanks to these centre stage spots, I have now added Seaton Delaval Hall to my list of favourite places and am busy capturing it in blackwork. I have more ideas for further designs of it... I just wish there were more hours in the day so I could explore all of my ideas for all of my favourite places here! Needless to say, I can't wait for Friday to roll around so I can park myself centre stage once again. I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment